It looks like you guys were right about the European washers/dryers. I took a look at it today, and basically saw that it was a combination of a shift towards the washer taking more time than the dryer, and the incorrect settings being used. When I fiddled with it, the basic washing modes were showing a 56-60 minute timeframe, and the dryer was showing 30 minutes.

I assume that this is an environmental decision, and that the washer takes less energy than the dryer over a similar time. Otherwise I don't really like one device taking twice as long as the other. The total time you spend doing laundry is determined by the device that takes the longer amount of time. On my parents' old washer and dryer, they both took 45 minutes. That means 4 loads takes 3.75 hours. But now, with the new washer, the total time for four loads is basically 4.5 hours. Not long, but what about larger families?

There was a quick mode, though, which I'd be interested in trying. It looked like it would take about 36 minutes.

And as some have said: yes, the dryer does sense when the clothes are dry. I think most do this, though, even my SUPER low-end dryer at my place is automatic. By the way, if you're sensitive to noise, don't get the lowest-end GE dryer. Ours was there when we moved in, and it dries fine, but when it's done it emits the LOUDEST BUZZ YOU'VE EVER HEARD!!! It pierces the eardrum. You can hear it anywhere in our two-floor apartment, even in the closet. I suppose if you want to be alerted the instant the dryer is done it's a good thing, but have I mentioned that it does this three times, about 15 seconds apart? I hate it. And no, there is simply no way to turn it off. I've researched it to no end, and it turns out that the ever so slightly better version of this dryer gives you some switch on the back that turns the buzzer off. Not this one, though.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just had to vent smile Thanks for the suggestions everyone.