Originally Posted By: Cris
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I'm a little confused. I get the impression that your "laundrette" has machines for you to wash and dry your own clothes. But then you say that it comes back folded. How does that work? Or is my assumption wrong?

Also, the reason that people in the US do it is because laundromats are seldom close by (the closest one to my house, for example, is an 11 minute drive away), and often … scummy.

That because I fold them as I go. You can open the door on the commercial machine while they are still going, so I can take out the stuff that dries quicker and fold it as I go. I think this makes the clothes last longer as they are not over dried.

I drive about 3 miles to mine, takes about 10 minutes. There is one closer but I prefer my regular one. I think if more people used them there would be more of them and they would be nicer. I am lucky that the one I go to does mostly service washes so most clients don't hang around too long unless they are regulars like me. In the time I have been going there the owner and I have become somewhat friends, so it's always a lot of fun. We discuss many topics, mainly women and religion, and although our differences are great we always end up laughing.

I think if you have children then having your own washing machine starts to makes sense. But it would be far from a labour saving device for me at the moment.

Cheers

Cris.

Every laundromat (as we call them) I've ever been in seemed like a crack house to me. Not that I've ever been inside a crack house, but what I imagine a crack house to be -- dirty, poorly ventilated and with lots of drug-crazed poor people and welfare moms hanging around in it.

That's not entirely true, I guess. Near the universities the laundromats are dirty and filled with poor student potheads. A much friendlier and less edgy scene...