Yeah, as a Conan fan, I'm pretty pissed about all this. I don't care if Leno was pressured to move on, he should have been, and it was clear to everyone with a brain that his 10pm show would be a ratings disaster. I think his highest ratings were for that show he had Kanye on right after the whole Taylor Swift thing where Leno asked him if his dead mother would have been proud of him. Nice. Conan had a super hot show, and was getting lots of offers to do other things, but he, like most hosts, coveted the Tonight Show. Now I sort of wish he could have done something more interesting, because he hasn't been given a chance to make the Tonight Show his, as much as he's been made to fit the mold of the Tonight Show.

Our comedy tastes meet when it comes to Leno, Bruno. I've never once found him funny. I do find it interesting, though, that I've heard several comics give their take on the situation, and they all talk about how funny Leno used to be in the 80's.

The whole situation is certainly the fault of the execs at NBC (as Letterman has had so much fun pointing out this week, as he has a bit of an axe to grind with them). They've given Conan almost zero time to let him find his audience, and now they're cowtowing to Leno and moving the entire schedule around for him. I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but what NBC wanted to do was to give Leno an 11:35-midnight show, then have the Tonight Show come on at midnight and run to 1am, pushing everyone back a half hour. Conan pointed out, of course, that this would mean that the Tonight Show was actually airing...tomorrow. This seemed to be the last straw, and he released this excellent statement on the situation, which everyone seems to be considering his resignation from the show.

I want to defend the Fallon show for a moment, though. I was skeptical he could pull it off at first, but I must say that his show is actually quite good. He has some funny bits, like where he plays various ridiculous songs as Neil Young. And his band, the Roots, is the most interesting in late night. And yeah, I'm super excited that he frequently has Josh Topolsky, editor of Engadget, on the show. He's essentially the Jack Hannah of gadgets.

Lastly, nobody, thank God, watches Carson Daly. Nobody.

Edited by Dignan (19/01/2010 20:00)