Originally Posted By: wfaulk
On a more practical level, there's an Android app that lets you tether without rooting your phone: PDAnet. I think that it requires that you load a network driver/client on your laptop. Some say that if you use Bluetooth, you don't have to use their client. I haven't tried it, but it's worth looking at.

Yeah, I've looked at PDAnet. Aside from the $30 entrance fee (granted, only one time, but still annoying), it really only helps me with my laptop. I can't get other devices online, and it's a good deal of annoyance if I need that software on my laptop.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
For what it's worth, I dislike these MiFi gadgets. I understand the benefit, but it's also yet another battery powered doodad to carry around. I want to carry exactly one battery-powered gizmo on me at any given time.

I can understand that, and I would completely agree with it in a perfect world. There are a few phones out there that the carriers will actually let you use as a MiFi, which I think is the ideal solution. But they're terrified of running out of bandwidth or losing another revenue stream they can gouge customers with.

The charging part doesn't bother me, either. I charge all my devices every night, so adding another one is merely a matter of adding another mini/micro USB cable to my hub.