Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I have not actually heard of anyone outside of Internet geeks who actually wants an Android phone.

I actually know quite a few, and my experience is significnalty different from what you describe, Bruno. Galaxy S is quite popular here. This could also be a geography-based phenomenon.
If I had to describe perception of the Apple/Android competition here, I'd say Apple is considered more stylish and fashionable, not at all a "better" product overall. I can think of many non-techie friends who are ahppily downloading apps on their Galaxy Ss and having fun, to the point that almost all of them considered the Galaxy Tab last Christmas. Galaxy S is actually more popular among my non-geek friends and relatives than iPhone.

Originally Posted By: taym
I actually don't think n. 3 position is at stake, but rather n. 1 and 2 in 5/6 years time.

I don't think MS has much of a chance to get to #1 or 2 in that time period. They were not able to do it in the past with less competition.

My idea is actually that MS did not really try. Zune is the prototype of such decision NOT to really compete, but rather live in a nich, probably test the mkt, and give signals to competition. One of the things that I find different now with the alliance with Nokia, is that they seem to really want to compete with Apple (even more than with Android). Just as they did in the console mkt. That's the parallel I see, and, if so, this can only be good. This may even push Apple to improve where they would not even plan to do so, otherwise.

Originally Posted By: taym
So, I've been wondering why MS did not bring to market its own device with WP7 - I would have entered the market with two: one super shiny to rival the iPhone, another inexpensive

I don't think they have enough consumer brand caché to pull this off.

True, but while on one hand I don't think it's impossible for them to create one - consider they could begin by building on the vast perception of Apple's smugness which is actually quite widespread - on the other hand I agree that they chose to use "Nokia" brand instead. Which has a big potential and it is another reason why the agreement is interesting.

Quote:
having two models as you suggest would only serve to devalue the high end product.

Only if you don't differentiate them enough. I am not thinking at two products with the same identical OS feature set in different boxes. I am thinking of various product lines, which is possibly what they'll do in Nokia. Nokia has also license to customize WP7, so that's already planned, IMO.

Again, just guessing here. We'll see.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg