Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Then I have the Actiontec router, for which I eventually read how to put it in bridge mode, which was a little tricky but thankfully did the job. At the end I have the Netgear.

Bridge mode? This reads to me that you are doing wireless between the Actiontec router and the Netgear N750, which I would imagine to be less then ideal. Am I misunderstanding your configuration?

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Almost certainly. Most ISP-provided CPE routers will either consume an IP address themselves or function as a simple Ethernet-to-DSL adapter. In networking lingo, such an adapter that does nothing but convert one LAN protocol to another is known as a bridge.

Originally Posted By: drakino
Bridge mode on a DSL modem disables all the routing functions, letting his Netgear handle that. It's a little bit of manual work since a PPPoE username and password needs to be entered into the router, and sometimes providers won't give this info out.

Bitt, I think you're talking about something different from Phoenix42. There is nothing wireless in the setup I described above (except for the LAN of the Netgear). (*edit* I re-read your post, Bitt, and what you're describing is what I understood, but you were confirming his suspicions of wireless, which was not what I'm doing. I think I get what you're saying, though */edit*)

And Tom, it's not the DSL modem that's bridged, its the Fios Actiontech router.

From how I understand it, all I'm doing is completely bypassing the Fois router by telling it to bridge the WAN ethernet with whatever I plug into a LAN port. That's all I really wanted it to do anyway.

Tony, you're right about it being a pain. I haven't checked to see if the guide data is still working on my bedroom set top box. If I had to guess, I'd say it isn't.

But that wouldn't matter much to me. It hasn't worked for nearly four years, and we don't really care. We rarely watch that TV anyway, and when we do we usually know what channel number we need.

You pretty much described the reasons I've been forgoing my Fios router since I first got Fios. The default router is better than most, but still short on features. I at least need N, and gigabit ethernet should be nice in the future.

Edited by Dignan (04/05/2011 02:12)