Originally Posted By: DWallach
CFLs are awful in so many different ways: buzzing, slow to reach full brightness, crappy transformers that burn out too early, etc.

None of my CFLs have an audible buzz. The only time I've had buzzing was with the dimmable ones I mentioned previously. They all reach full brightness relatively quickly - which I don't mind at all. Every product has duds and I've experienced some early failures, with other bulbs already in service over 5 years. Ikea, Walmart, Home Depot and other places take back CFLs for proper disposal and recycling. Lastly, the price is right.

Quote:
to be more like $30 before most consumers will take the plunge.

I think you're off here by about a factor of 10. At $3 we're in business. Maybe even at $4-5. At $30 they might as well be $300 - they will not sell in any meaningful quantity. Maybe if they were absolutely designed and advertised (heavily) to last multiple lifetimes (take them with you when you move, pass them on to your kids etc). They'll remain at the slimmest of niche markets while they're in double-digit prices.

Quote:
easily 10x the service lifetime and 10% the power consumption

I did some quick looks yesterday and even today's announcement of some Philips LED bulb claims only 80% energy reduction and 20% increase in lamp life. In other words, 20% consumption with 0.2x lamp life. Which are still good stats. Until you look at the price of the lamps.

Edited by hybrid8 (17/05/2011 13:03)