Quote:

Yes, those are in a single year. Compound over 3 years.

Would you buy an investment from me that you plan to hold on to for three years if the only thing I told you about it was that it's gone up 33.3% in the last year? No -- you're a smart guy, so you'd want to know the long-term performance, and if you look at gas prices -- and I even gave you a link to the chart so you could look yourself -- you see that they were even higher than they are now in mid-2008, then they tanked (ha!) all the way down to $1.61, before rising again over the next few years:

Choosing the nadir of that wild swing as your starting point for the price of a commodity that's known to be far more volatile than others is a flat-out masterpiece of cherrypicking, but even with that cherrypicking, you're wrong. Let's look at the 36-month chart:

The price of gas on October 25, 2008 was in the $2.60 range. It's $3.46 today. That's... a 33% increase over 3 years -- or nearly the same growth rate over 3 years as over the past year -- in other words, there was no growth at all in the two years prior.

It looks like you're trying to get away with the same sleight-of-hand with the dairy prices. I don't have those handy, but simply taking the one year price increase and extending it back 2 years is just plain wrong.

This is infuriating. I know you're smarter than this, but the reality of the situation belies the point you're trying to make, so you play dumb and suggest you can simply take a one year growth rate and extend it back three years.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if we all added a zero to the money in our pockets. But when SOME people do, and not others, then it matters a great deal. It's stealing.

Everyone knows what historical inflation rates look like, and everyone knows that the Fed targets an inflation rate in the low single digits -- it's not officially written anywhere, but it's well-understood by those who plan their investment strategies. If you're putting money in a non interest-bearing account and expecting it to keep up with an inflation number that anyone can look up at any time, you're a sucker.

Edited by tonyc (25/10/2011 19:27)