Originally Posted By: mlord
A few more:

Vplayer
Excellent video player for Android. Supports way more formats than the included player handles, and the paid version is only a quid or so right now.

Hmm, hadn't seen that one. Have you looked at Moboplayer?

Originally Posted By: mlord
Mmm.. so Android veterans..
What categories of apps am I missing out on through ignorance right now? smile

My favorite app of all time, one I use every single day, sometimes for several hours a day:

Doggcatcher

You will never shake my faith that this is the absolute best podcast player in existence. I adore this app for so many reasons:

Customer Input:

The developer might be the best developer on the platform in terms of customer input. He's worked with his users from the very beginning, listening to all their bug reports and feature suggestions. I've even had a suggestion or two put in. And even with that much customer input, it's still a fantastic app smile He's amazing and really puts a lot of work into this app.

Options? You've got options.

I've spent ages in the settings pages, getting everything just perfect. The player pauses when I unplug my phone from power or disconnect headphones or bluetooth. It also resumes playback when I reconnect just my headphones. If I wanted to do the opposite of that or anything in-between, I could. I can set to download podcasts only on WiFi, or only when plugged in, or both, or neither.

I can adjust how each feed downloads independently. Car Talk downloads every episode, but the 7-minute news podcast from NPR only downloads the most recent episode.

Best of all, when I wanted to wipe my phone, I was able to export all my settings and import them when I had the phone set up again, so everything was just how I liked it.

Playback

It's so easy to skip around and select new episodes. You can order your unlistened episodes several ways, you can set (independently) how far the FF and REW buttons will scrub through your podcasts, you can play back at different speeds (requires a plugin), and the app ties into Android for lock screen controls like Play Music does.

I could go on and on about this app (and I have, sorry). This is far and away my most used app and also my absolute favorite. I could never give it up.