Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Micro USB has been the standard for everyone not in the Apple world for the past three to four years. Nearly all Android phones, Blackberries, and Kindles have used it.

I wish. For my upcoming trip, I need to pack a:

MiniUSB cable for charging the GoPro (new 2012 version) it's spare battery, and the WiFi attachment
USB to proprietary for the WiFi remote for the GoPro
MicroUSB for my rechargeable mouse, and Jambox
MicroUSB3 for my portable HDD
Apple 30 pin for the iPad and iPhone

5 different cables for 9 different devices.

Heh, I said it was the standard, and it is. I didn't say everyone used that standard. I know exactly how frustrating this is. I have a pair of headphones that has a charging port exactly the size and shape of a micro USB port, but it's NOT a micro USB port. That one kills me.

I think you guys are all getting too hung up on micro USB in what I'm saying. My preference is for a standard. I don't want multiple adapters or cables to go from one connection to another, I want to just outfit my house, car, go-bag, and travel kit with the same stuff, and having to double up on that with additional cables or adapters isn't appealing to me.

Originally Posted By: andy
If I owned a series of Sony devices that I had to plug and unplug on a daily basis, I'd be delighted if they opted to use a quality well designed connector rather than micro USB. Especially if they rolled it out to all their mobile devices, which no doubt Apple will do and no one else has the guts to do.

You didn't get the point of my example. It wasn't about charging ports, it was about standards. Sony would have loved for everyone to use memory stick duo in their products, but nobody did. I don't know if it was because everyone was already going towards SD or if because Sony was asking for too much, but at least they tried.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I'm sure if enough clout, in the form of money likely, came to the table, Apple might entertain licensing that connector for other devices. I think the bigger issue might be that Apple didn't set out with that as a goal so there may be a number of technical issues on top of financial.

And all of that is a problem, in my eyes.