Originally Posted By: Archeon
I can guarantee you that my mattress doesn't smell like anything. Perhaps there are different sorts/production processes?

Must be. I've seen wildly conflicting reports on the smell issue for every single mattress I've looked at. It's subjective, of course, and might also depend on how good a person's sense of smell is, but that doesn't account for how differing the opinions are. Some people say there's no smell at all (or one that dissipates after an hour or two), and others say that they're blasted with toxic fumes, and no matter how long they open the windows, run ceiling fans, or burn candles, nothing will get rid of it. And we're talking about the same mattress here...

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Can anyone explain why latex mattresses aren't more common?

Allergies.

Yeah, that could be. I wonder, would that still apply if all these layers of fabric are between the person and the latex? Would you still get an allergic reaction?

Quote:
I have been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for the past 8 years, and would never consider anything else.

Thanks for the input! The one major issue with Tempurpedic is that they're a good deal more expensive than the alternatives. I wouldn't be surprised if you get what you pay for, but if the difference between 80% happy with my mattress and 90% happy is $1000, I'll take 80% smile Right now I'm at 0-10%