Originally Posted By: Dignan
I also find it humorous that it seems like most of the people freaking out over the acquisition are Nest owners but not home automation enthusiasts

Being one of these people, it's been because I wanted to wait. I was a PDA (Palm, iPaq) enthusiast, but saw the nightmare that were smartphones pre 2007. Waiting got me the iPhone. Waiting on home automation got me the Nest. Sure, both were expensive. But because I didn't buy into the bad marketplace before, my TCO for a smartphone, or home automation just for a thermostat was still lower then many people. And I voted for my wallet on what I saw as a superior clean start to the issues in both markets.

I also have the living situation of being in and out of various apartments over the past few years. Installing a Nest thermostat was easy. Trying to install all the automation stuff at every location would have not been worth it to me. Once I have a more settled place again, then maybe.

I'll wait and see how the Google deal turns out. I just don't hold much hope of it being some sort of magical solution in the space. If Google leaves Nest alone for the most part but lets them tap into more resources of the mothership, then perhaps it will work out. But if Google tries to shove Nest into the ad revenue category that the rest of the company operates at, it's game over for me. I prefer to pay for products, not be the product sold.