Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
If anything, the Nest is a more difficult thermostat to swap into a rental property due to its shape...

I already said it was easy, but it seems you didn't believe I meant what I said...

No, it seems you didn't understand what I said. You implied that one of the reasons you finally installed the Nest was because you were moving around a lot. I was asking why that had anything to do with it, since it's as easy to install as any other thermostat. I like that they supply an adapter and good wiring diagrams, but thermostats really aren't difficult things to replace. Armed with a screwdriver, anyone can do it.

As for the rest, I'll keep it brief. I still prize interoperability. Just because you don't want or need automated lighting doesn't mean I shouldn't push for it. You've been assuming a lot about Nest's intentions before the buyout. The only evidence I've seen (partnering with Control4) indicates they did not have these grand designs that you're ascribing to them.

In the end, this is currently moot. The controller I use for my home automation setup is the Vera Lite. It has user-made plugins for both the Nest and the Philips Hue. Thanks to the type of thinking that "old style" automation brought us, I can bring some of these products into my system... but I don't want to. The $150 I saved on my ugly ZWave thermostat means I can pick up 2-3 light switches.

Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
it just doesn't work for everyone.

Nothing does.

Okay okay, I should have been more clear on that. How about this: for some people, the Nest offers nothing over a wifi thermostat. How about that?