Originally Posted By: Archeon
Your suggestion, of getting a pre-built Dell is a good one, but it'll be more expensive. But less risky too, of course.

I'm not sure I really believe that anymore. The margins on these things (Dells) are so slim it's ridiculous. I'd also wonder which route would be better for someone based in Mexico. I honestly don't know whether it's better/cheaper to ship one pre-built system or a bunch of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Dignan

Personally, I despise Windows 8. I will not be "upgrading."

Why? I can understand that if you run the stock version of Win8, but if you install Classic Shell, a free program that takes less than a minute to install, you'll have Windows 8 which looks and acts just like Windows 7, but with more features. It'll also boot straight to Desktop. I've been using it for more than a year now, and I can't even remember the last time I saw the Metro interface. Windows 8 does have its merits and benefits. (the Winflag+X key combination comes to mind, but that's just one example...)

I said I wouldn't be upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Your arguments seem to be for someone buying a new system and doesn't have a choice. All I hear when I read this is "you should upgrade to 8 because you can make it look like 7." I already have 7 and love it. I don't see any advantage in upgrading my own system, and I won't need to for many years yet smile

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Dignan
While I would never urge a tinkerer away from trying to build their own computer (it can be a lot of fun), I just want to get an idea of what your objective is.
Well, that's kind of the problem. I don't really know. I don't really need ultra-high performance, but I want it if for no other reason than to impress people. I'm not a serious gamer -- the only games I have on my computer are (you're gonna laugh at me!) DOOM and Quake III Arena -- but I want to be able to run the "bigger" games if the mood should ever hit me. What I don't want is problems. I want it to boot up quickly, allow me to organize my files the way I want them, and be about as reliable as an anvil. This present failure of the PCI-E slot is only the second hardware problem I've had in eight years, the first being a failure of the on-board sound that required putting in a Sound Blaster sound card about four years ago.

While I'd never say that Dells are perfect, you can certainly get a system worth bragging about. They've got nice video cards in them these days, and as long as you have a Core i7, a good amount of RAM, and an SSD (which is pretty easy to replace yourself) you'll have a really nice computer.

On the other hand, it certainly is fun building your own system. For my own use, my main computer for the past 10 years has been a self-built computer, and the guts have only seen a single major overhaul in that time. I've been running a first gen Core i7 since just before Windows 7 was in beta, and it's still going strong with no failures. All I've done in that time has been to upgrade to a massive 24GB of RAM, but that's ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: K447
Unless you have a compelling reason to choose a desktop/tower form factor computer, my advice for most people is to move to a high grade laptop form factor.

Your reasoning makes sense, but to be fair you should mention the downsides. The main one for Doug is that he asked for something he could tinker with. You can't upgrade anything in a laptop (ok, other than RAM and the hard drive).

I also don't think a laptop is a good value. The price/performance ratio is lower than a desktop, and if you're never/rarely going to take the laptop anywhere, you might as well just get a desktop and save some money, particularly if you already have a monitor you like (I don't know if that's the case with you, Doug).

I usually tell people that unless they anticipate moving their desktop replacement laptop at least once a week, you're better off getting a workhorse desktop computer and slinging around a netbook or something. Maybe get a keyboard for the tablet they already own.

Quote:
I guess there are PS-2 to USB converters that would allow me to run my PS-2 keyboard through USB, right? Are they reliable? Any recommendations?

I wasn't aware of any, and was under the impression that the only ones available would just work for the devices they shipped with, but this device seems to get good reviews.