Originally Posted By: Tim
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I've been running a first gen Core i7 since just before Windows 7 was in beta, and it's still going strong with no failures.
I still have a Core i7-940 here. I didn't think I had a problem with it until recently...

I'll have to time each, but the difference was large enough that I started looking at replacing my desktop.

Well, yeah, the 940 (I have a 920) is almost five years old now. I didn't say it would be a powerhouse by today's standards, but I still find I'm able to do everything I need.

The big difference maker in computing has always been gaming. If you're a hardcore gamer you're probably going to want something newer than five years old and more expensive than average. You won't want onboard graphics either (although Haswell has improved things). This all means big bucks (like multiple thousands), and I doubt that Doug wants to spend that.

Doug, building your own computer is fun and you get to choose exactly what goes into it. If you don't feel like messing with all of that, I still suggest getting a decent Dell (like this), then put an SSD in it. It already has a really nice graphics card that will blow away your current one, and adding RAM if you want (though 8GB is probably sufficient for most folks) is an easy task.

Swapping out a HHD for a SSD is pretty simple, and you can even use free tools to do it (Driveimage XML is great). If you need help stepping through the process I'd be happy to assist.