I like Plex, and in fact I have it installed on there now, but it has a few problems.

1. It does not yet take advantage of the hardware-GPU-based transcoding that is built into this particular Synology DS214play. I proved this today by trying to use it to Chromecast a high def video file that was shot at one of our recent concerts. Because the GPU-transcoding was not working in Plex, it was only able to play about 2 seconds before it had to pause and rebuffer for 5 seconds, lather rinse repeat. It also pegged the DSM's CPU at 99 percent while doing the above. On the other hand, the DS Video Station app chromecasted it fine at 1080p, launched from my phone straight to the chromecast, using the hardware GPU transcoding. So, DS Video Station big win there.

2. The mobile apps for Plex cost five bucks per person in my household. I could probably make them all pay the five bucks but it would be weird. I think that if I spent the money on a media server, it should serve media for what I spent for it. The DS Video Station should theoretically do that, but for this bug that I want to fix. Note: there is a thingy on the plex web site saying you get a free android app if you get a lifetime subscription to plex (which is inexpensive at something like 79.00). That's tempting, but that offer is not on the table for iOS (I don't have an android device I have an IOS device), and additionally, I think the freebie app works only for me, not my whole household.

3. It doesn't solve the problem. Plex gets the metadata wrong too. Not as badly as DS Video Station, but still. At least Plex offers the following options:
- a much faster/easier way to clear out bad metadata
- an option to switch the video metdata control to be "just internal" so that it only tries to tag the files with data from the files themselves, not a best-guess internet search.

Still, I really really like Plex. It's a lot less klunky than DS Video Station. I'm going to leave it installed and see if they eventually release a version that will use the hardware transcoding available on the DS214play. One of the engineers said on a post on their forum that they are "looking into it" because users have an interest in that. While I'm waiting for that, it's DS Video Station for me.