Is there a technical reason that no one has yet made a Chromecast IR puck?

I'm envisioning a network-connected device of some kind. Perhaps prototype it via an arduino with an ethernet+wifi port and and IR sensor velcro'd to it. You write software into the Arduino which can talk to the Chromecast across the network. You configure it for your network and your particular Chromecast. Program it so that it responds to IR remote signals. Then set it on the mantle with your TV, and now play/pause FF/Rew Prev/Next on your IR remote now succeed for the Chromecast.

Projects like this one seem to indicate that generic-level network playback control of a Chromecast is possible. In other words, I don't have to be inside the Netflix app to be able to play and pause Netflix playback on the Chromecast.

Of course everyone would argue that what I should be doing is tossing out the Chromecast and getting some other kind of playback device which already includes IR support. That's a valid point, but there are a lot of people with Chromecasts, and this seems like an unfilled market segment. I am surprised that no one has done this yet. So much so that it makes me suspect that there's a reason no one has done this yet. Anyone know?