Interesting stuff about the Android Auto, Dan. Please keep us updated if you find more interesting tidbits.

Quote:
With respect to the questions about IR remotes and whatnot, there's clearly a broader universe in which they're hoping to put contextually relevant controls (e.g., Tony's roommate's desired pause button) everywhere you might want them. On your watch. On your phone. On the Android TV d-pad remote. Etc.

Sure they're trying to do that, but I don't think I want it. It's still more complicated and prone to fail. I know I sound old here, but what doesn't fail is a pause button on a physical keypad.

A quick anecdote: I love how I get media controls on the lock screen. but they disappear! Seriously, I don't know what the problem is, but for some reason my phone has this obnoxious habit of forgetting that there's a media activity currently running, and at least half the time I'm playing a podcast, song, or Chromecast video I'll wake my phone up and see the plain old lock screen. I then have to unlock the phone, bring the app back up, and perform the desired control.

I know this is probably just my phone, but it's a good example of why I want something reliable.