Originally Posted By: drakino
I'll expand on why I don't believe USB C will be in the iPhone 7-9 (including s models)

Announcement of the Lightning connector, Phil specifically states it's a connector for the next decade. https://youtu.be/h7Qtp6Iv7a0?t=36m5s . First iPhone with it was the 5, and now up to the 6s has us at the start of the 4th year of a possible 10 year possible lifespan. This could of course change, and Apple does change it's mind at times.

First, I think it's silly to proclaim that anything in technology is going to last a decade. We haven't even had the iPhone for a decade. Mini USB didn't last a decade. Micro USB is seeing its end in USB C about 8 years in. The 30-pin lasted that long, but honestly, should it have? Nobody is going to shout "but you said ten years!" And if they do, that'll be nothing new for any move Apple makes.

And yes, Apple is pretty great at changing their minds. From the iPod with video to the iPad Pro stylus, they change their minds all the time.

The question is whether the moves are good for the consumer. No matter which way you slice it, it's extremely odd to commit so much with USB C on the MacBook and then not put it in a single product released since. How great would it have been to put USB C in the new iMac, and charge your MacBook with a single cable to the back of your desktop?

Basically, I'm willing to accept your reasoning for why they're sticking with thunderbolt on the iPhone, but there's something odd about what they're doing here, and I don't think there's a good explanation for it.

Personally, I'd love to see USB C on every device from every company. Thunderbolt isn't going to be that standard, so lets abandon it ASAP.

Edited by Dignan (14/10/2015 23:10)