Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
That leaves the refrigerator as the only other significant power user. The Kill-A-Watt shows it is running at 125 watts

MYSTERY SOLVED

After leaving the Kill-A-Watt plugged in for six hours, I have used .80 KWh.

That works out to a constant 133 Watts. The Kill-A-Watt shows that the refrigerator is drawing 127 Watts while it is running, so I can't explain the extra six Watts. But it is apparent that the compressor on that refrigerator never stops, 24 hours a day, 168 hours a week, ~732 hours a month. Hmmm.... 732 hours * 127 watts comes to 93 KWh per month, more or less in the ballpark with the estimate of 80 KWh per month, or 85 KWh if I drop that "Miscellaneous" 5 KWh from the previous speculation.

I'll let the Kill-A-Watt run overnight and see if the numbers hold up over a longer time period.

It is an old, medium-size refrigerator purchased a year or so ago at a garage sale for about $100. It's costing us a little over seven dollars a month to run it, so I don't think it would be cost effective to replace it. Of course, how long the compressor will last running 24/7 is anybody's guess.

tanstaafl.