Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Originally Posted By: DWallach
What I like about these numbers is that you're now incentivized to store your electricity rather than feeding it back

How feasible would it to set up, your presumable hot water heater, to only run when there is an excess of solar energy, rather then all the time? Although this could leave you with cold water in the morning, maybe just restrict the lower element, so the upper can still heat a smaller amount of water.

In other word, without resorting to batteries and other means of storing energy, is there a way we can automatically consume the excess PV energy when it is available, rather then sell it to the grid at a low price, only to buy it back later for double.

I have my own selfish reasons for asking, there is a housing development going in the next town over, that we may buy into in two years time. The houses are HERS 55 rated (24" stud spacing, 6" insulation + R12 sheathing, triple glazing, etc), all electric, and PV ready. I expect at some point, that National Grid will push a similar plan to yours, so I'm curious what options exist to balance things short of battery, or a Tesla.
You can assemble more than one electric water heater into a storage group, or even better, heat the water with a rooftop solar water heating system. Store up the excess hot water in several tanks.

Keep going with that thinking and you end up with waster circulation heating of the building plus plenty of hot water for other uses.

Storing electricity looks to be on the cusp of becoming economical. Choose a house layout and wiring that can accommodate future battery wall packs (or whatever) and install them when the pricing matches your criteria.

Long term I think the grid will become the backup and the local electricity storage will become the primary.

What does PV ready mean in this case? Just some wiring, or a roof design with maximal southern slope exposure and structural mount points for the solar array frames?

Edited by K447 (28/06/2016 18:55)