Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: drakino
Things will likely stabilize for most vendors and devices by the end of the year or sooner.

That's clearly the ultimate answer to my initial post. It's frustrating, but I'll try to be patient smile
I suspect the confusion has only just begun for regular people who just want things to work.

Even Benson Leung commented on the article.

My new 2016 MacBook Pro 15" is about to arrive and I am looking for the correct 'cables' to connect a pair of (well, three, actually) HDMI displays. Not so easy to work out which is the optimal selection. frown
In the meantime I have ordered three of these Aukey USB C to HDMI adapters

4K displays will be replacing the current HD+ HDMI monitors so looking for cables than can work at 4K.

Originally Posted By: Total Nightmare: USB-C and Thunderbolt 3
8. Funny enough, USB-C Alternate Mode has different video compatibility than Thunderbolt 3:
While Thunderbolt 3 supports HDMI 2.0, USB 3.1 can only do HDMI 1.4b.

But when it comes to DisplayPort, USB 3.1 has the upper hand, supporting version 1.3 vs. version 1.2 in Thunderbolt 3. Support for these protocol levels is entirely dependent on the implementation of the port in a given machine.

OWC's announced Thunderbolt 3 dock has been pre-ordered but shipping is forecast for next February.

Edited by K447 (15/11/2016 18:29)