Originally Posted By: K447
Why put all the gear in a closet? Is it a requirement that the speakers be inside the walls or ceilings?

There has to be a network closet anyway, and yes, many people prefer in-wall/ceiling speakers which often have better audio quality, don't have cords running around, don't need to be placed on anything, etc.

My current house had in wall 'speaker' wiring running to multiple rooms along with in-wall 'volume controls'. And a centralized amplifier location. All of it has been abandoned/retired now.

I get it, but there's no reason to retire all of it. The volume controls could be bypassed and blank plates put over them, giving you all the control inside the closet where you could use a streaming device of some sort to handle everything. I'd love to have speakers built into every room of my home.

Tip for hiding compact electronic gear 'in' a room yet have it be effectively invisible.

Install a return air ventilation grill, but behind the grill is a hollow wall cavity. The grill is sized to match the cavity wall opening. Frame the cavity within the wall structure as needed and run speaker/input/control wires to wherever needed.

I like your spy craft! I might have to think about this kind of setup for my basement, where everything comes into a Bell Atlantic box inset into the stud bay. It's a weird thing from 1999.

Originally Posted By: drakino
I'm sold on Sonos at this point.

I'm with you. Sonos is pricey but you get a great product for it. Well designed, sounds really good, and does the multi-room streaming better than anyone. The wireless aspect is perfect for post-construction or apartment dwellers.

I may consider Sonos in the future because of its Chromecast support, which is a huge deal since Sonos is so very terrible at podcasts.

Originally Posted By: Archeon
I would much rather have it that Sonos would release a rack-mountable solution that would harbor 4 or 8 zones. Kind of like Denon does with their Heos series.

This surprises me too, especially considering how many new construction homes I come across with a Sonos in it. I have several customers who opted for a Sonos system to be installed as an upgrade. A multi-zone controller makes so much sense. Even just a two-zone unit so you could get exactly the number you need while cutting down on a little bit of the silliness.

Originally Posted By: DWallach

It's a definite option, frankly. The main problem is that it looks even stupider than a stack of Sonos Connect:Amps. You'd have the row of amps, and a row of Chromecasts, and all the wires that go to power and connect all of them. It would be insanity, but I'd have to think it would just work, and work better than most of these systems that scream "1997." What inexpensive amp would you pair with such a system?

Quote:
The biggest downside to Chromecast Audio, and it's quite a bummer, is that you can't do the multiroom audio thing through a video Chromecast stick.

I've wondered about that too. I'm really not sure why you can't. The upside is that a Chromecast Audio is $35, so you could always add one to the unused "CD" input on your receiver laugh