Originally Posted By: sein
I do quite a lot of residential projects, working on everything from a couple of Connect:amps to huge Control4 systems.

Is there such a thing as an in-wall speaker with integrated amplifier?

I would love to have in-wall speakers where the only wired connection is to AC power. The rest would be digital wireless, including speaker pairing for stereo, room coverage, etc. All configurable by an app.

AC power is generally available somewhere within ceilings and walls, sometimes with minimal distance cable run required. No need for home run speaker wiring if the speakers are wireless and have amplification. Sure would change the game for retro-fitting in-wall speakers.

There are electrical standards to be met, of course, but a well designed speaker enclosure could provide the necessary safeguards.

This sort of thing punts on the AC power aspect, forcing use of a visible outlet near the speaker or routing DC power wires to elsewhere in the house. What I am imagining would install like a pot lamp, entirely wired within the ceiling at that location. Not even a wall switch or wall plate control/amp module.

Edited by K447 (08/04/2017 16:09)