First impressions of the Playbase and the Play 1 in another room, overall good. The music aspect works perfectly as expected, and it's pretty cool to have whole apartment audio again. Last had a setup like this working via AirPort Expresses and iTunes.

Their audio tuning via the iPhone was great. You sit in the sweet spot on your couch, and it takes care of all the left/right balance issues and figures out the dynamics of the room. A second setup has you wander around the room with the phone to set it up for the best quality music playback for anywhere in the space.

Only quirk I need to work out now is the lipsync issue if I feed a 5.1 signal into the Sonos. My TV is properly passing it though to to the optical connection to the Sonos, but then the audio seems to be behind the video. The Sonos side only allows audio delay to be added, and things sync properly when it's fed a stereo signal. Going to give Sonos support a call to see how that experience goes, and hope it's not a quirk of my particular TV.

It is the one downside of Sonos being behind tech wise a little. Other soundbars address this by being part of the HDMI side of the connection instead of optical. And all of this is reminding me why home theater setups still aren't that common. When a TV and audio system can't be trusted to be in sync without a lot of fiddling, it kinda takes the relaxing side out of watching TV/Movies.

Though thankfully it looks like the Playbase is their last product out the door on their older platform. Whatever is coming next should have some new tech in it, and possibly microphones for those wanting voice control. For now I have Siri control by piping in audio via Airplay to the Sonos system.