Originally Posted By: Dignan

The second reason is that I'm tired of Google's ADD.

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is Google's ADD?

You're right: Apple hardware is sublime. It's just the limitations of the software that I have a problem with. You say it yourself: you'll miss Lastpass, because it cannot work as it should because of Apple's limitations. There are dozens of situations like this on the iPhone, and this is what is turning me off from it. Eg. I like how on Android, Sonos puts a nice controller on the home screen. This isn't possible on iPhone. Sure, there's one on the lockscreen now, but that's not the same thing. It's just more integrated on Android. That's my beef with Apple: their own stuff is incredibly integrated and it all works seamlessly with each other, but it's a very different story for third party apps. Some of the times, app creators have to be very inventive to get around Apple's limitations. (just ask video player app creators) It's only since iOS 9 that add-on keyboards have become available. (but if you use them, the speech-to-text doesn't work anymore) "Desktop" tweaks are still not possible. Some apps, like eg. WiFi analyzers are flat out refused on the App Store.

I also have an incredible hatred for iTunes. I have a very big collection of tracks, and I do NOT want to organize them via iTunes because iTunes doesn't always follow the standards when it comes to MP3tags and I would have to retag 30.000+ files. I don't have the time for that, nor do I really feel like doing it because all my files work perfectly on all other software, except for iTunes. But I 'm stuck with it. And yes, I know there is something like CopyTrans, I've tried it and and found it's not all that either. I would love it if iPhone would simply allow me to connect it to a PC, copy the mp3 files to a folder on the phone and they would just play, like Android does.

So that's my story really. I won't discommend anyone from buying an iPhone and I still agree there's a lot Apple got right. The hardware, the ecosystem, it's second to none. It's just that I find myself more and more having a real problem with the limitations Apple imposes.

I can understand the reasons you're buying an iPhone, but those don't apply the me. The watch is still more a gimmick (albeit a nice one, I'll admit) than anything else to me. Homekit doesn't impress me. The home automation system I'm using (Loxone) is excellent quality stuff and it's dead easy to set up. There's no real "text" programming involved (though it does support it if you really wanted), everything is done graphically. It's hard to explain in a few sentences, so I'll just say it's simple, yet still very powerful and it works excellently. Loxone does things Homekit can only dream of. It can truly make your house run on autopilot. You can literally set it up not having to ever flick a lightswitch anywhere is your house ever again. Ever. Because the system knows what it needs to do at specific times and situations, and it adapts. (light scenes, heating, ventilation, etc...) And it works! Of course, Home Automation is the only thing Loxone does, so they better be good at it.

So that's the reason I'm now leaning towards Android. Maybe I'll make a mistake, I don't know. But I have used Android for a couple of months two years ago, and I remember really liking it. (but then work situations changed and I was back on iPhone again)