Originally Posted By: Archeon
Originally Posted By: Dignan

The second reason is that I'm tired of Google's ADD.

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is Google's ADD?

No problem at all. Happy to explain. Google has a way of going one direction, and then completely changing course mid-stream.

I've been with Google Voice from the beginning, since it was Grand Central. It stagnated. Then they made Hangouts, which had a better interface and fully integrated my GV and cell numbers for voicemail and texting. Awesome! Then they split my cell sms and voicemail out and into Messages or whatever they called it. Oh, and then there's Allo, which confuses me to this day.

Then there's Keep. I actually like Keep a whole lot. It's my grocery list of choice, after playing with and hating every grocery list service I've ever used (and I've tried at least a dozen). Google launched Keep, then never mentioned it anywhere ever again. But I used it! And it worked SO WELL with Google Home. I could say "Hey Google, add bread to my shopping list," and there it would be in my Keep entry labeled "Shopping List." I could place keep as a widget on my home screen, with the shopping list pinned to the top. Planning and going to the store was a breeze!

Then it changed to "Shopping List from Google Assistant." Fine just a name change. But then it was gone entirely, with no notice. I was adding stuff all week, and none of it got into Keep. It turns out that they were shifting focus entirely onto the Google Assistant. Now, the shopping list feature of Google Home was "integrated" into the Home App. Want to know how to get to it now?

-open Home app
-slide from the left or tap the menu button
-tap shopping list
-wait for a chrome window to come up
-wait for the data to load from the cloud instead of the data Keep cached on the device inside the installed app

To add insult to injury, the new shopping list is also MUCH harder to use.

I know that these seem like small things, but they're indicative of the overall experience I've had with Google. They change things far too often, don't have a unified direction, and often make things worse.

For example, the unified vision of this year appears to be all about Google Assistant. It's all they talk about anymore. The problem is that it's awful. Before they rolled out the Assistant, I absolutely adored Google's voice services. It almost always understood me, even when I asked it for some really tough stuff. Most importantly, it was extremely consistent. I could be reasonably certain that it would give me the same result every time for the same voice command.

Google Assistant is completely unreliable.

I drive all over the northern Virginia area for my business, and I utterly rely on navigation with real-time traffic to guide me now. Google Maps is great at this! It's great at taking commands like "navigate to 1234 Main Street in Alexandria Virginia." That works every time. You know what screwed up 5 times in the last two months? "OK Google, navigate home." Google knows where my home is. It's never failed to take me home. There are settings specifically designed to inform Google where my home is. Yet almost a half dozen times it's taken me to a place that was about 8 miles off track. Given how the roads in my area are, and how the traffic is around here (pretty sure we're in the top five in the country), an 8 mile error adds 10 to 30 minutes of travel time. But it won't always do this. Sometimes it takes me to the correct Home address, other times it takes me to this other random place I've never been to, 8-12 miles southwest of me.

I've also seen the Assistant be consistently inconsistent. For example, I have a playlist in Google Play Music called "Alex's Favorites." These are the songs my son likes the most, and he asks for them fairly often. At home, with the Google Home, I can just say "Hey Google, play Alex's Favorites" and it plays the right playlist. In the car, without fail, it will play some album by a band called "The Favorites." Every time.

All of these things and more, plus the allure of HomeKit, are what drew me to try out an iPhone for the first time. I still like Android a whole lot, and particularly if it's on an official Google phone. But at this point the two platforms are so close it honestly isn't as big a jump as some might think it is (there's no huge delta, that's for sure).

Anyway, I know that was more than just the ADD comments I talked about. There are other things, but these are good examples.