But really, why was it posted as an Excel file in the first place?

Because the person posting it genuinely thought that would be the most useful format.

Ooooops, I guess I was misunderstood just a tiny little bit. No offense intended on my side. I was (and am) a "bit" under stress, and it always amazes me that there are still people out there who think everybody is able to read MS Office documents Well, I know most are, but even using StarOffice, I am not always able to open those documents, and even if I am, quite a few (especially Word docs) are heavily crippled or have the layout totally f**ked up.

So I am really sorry about the wording I used, it sure as hell brought up the wrong impression about my intent.

I really appreciate each and every post of Remote Codes on this BBS.

Going back to the posting formats: I really think that the best way to transfer documents from your PC to some other (with unknown software installed) is to use RichTextFormat for formated text (or HTML), TAB seperated Text for tables and databases that do not contain any calculations/macros or anything like that (or HTML). Any tables/databases that contain calculations/macros or the like are difficult, I don't know about a real acceptable standard for those. Well, SQL in case of the databases is possible in most (but not all) cases, and Excel format works most of the time for tables that contain macros etc.
HTML can be used for texts and tables if they are intended for immediate display, but if you intend to do some work with the contained data, RTF/CSV is probably the format to choose.
Enough of that. I hope my point got over to you. Again: Many,many thanks for posting the remote codes.
As soon as I get a chance (i.e. enough time), I hope to sum these posts up for the developer info on riocar.org (if Tony isn't faster and puts it in the FAQ).

cu,
sven