Final remark: didn't someone suggest that it wasn't emplode that ran out-of-memory, but the player itself?

Right, but that's a completely different and unrelated issue from the Windows memory. I was specifically responding to your comment in your last post about Windows' "unused physical memory" slowly decreasing.

As far as NT's memory management:

In my overall experience, Windows NT has always had better memory management than 95/98. (Keep in mind that Windows 2000 is just a fancy name for Windows NT 5.0.) Everything is more stable under NT. Errant applications don't bring down the whole system like they do in 95/98. An example: I use NT as my main workstation at work, and I do lots of different things in many windows simultaneously. When one application crashes, I simply shut it down and continue working in the other windows. And the work is mission-critical stuff, too: compiling final software builds, moving huge files around our network, managing network user accounts, etc. I never worry about it, and I've never had a problem where one app has corrupted another app's data or files.

I trust NT much more than the Win98 I run at home. The only reason I run 98 at home is because certain games won't work under NT. After Win2K goes through a couple of service packs, I plan to test all my games on it and see if it's a viable upgrade for my home computer.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144