Tony, I think the main reason people see Ogg gaining importance is the licensing/royalty situation with MP3. I think that issue is overplayed a little bit, and nobody from Fraunhofer is going to chase us down and ask us to pay them a quarter for each of our MP3's. But in this open source world we all adore, people like the idea of getting away from proprietary formats, even if "the cat is out of the bag."

I think that issue is more important to a lot of people than the bitrate, etc. I think we all agree that disk space is (almost) irrelevant, and modern encoders (LAME especially) are doing such a great job of squeezing out quality per bit anyway.

Saying that OGG only offers quality/size ratio over MP3 is understating things a bit... Bitt even said in the other recent Vorbis thread that OGG doesn't suffer from the gap between tracks. That's definitely an advantage, no need for special LAME tags or whatever.

I'm no huge Ogg torch-bearer, but if it evolves sufficiently, there are compelling reasons to switch besides the marginal quality/size improvements.