A follow-up to myself...

I got a very pleasant, appropriately noncommital e-mail back from Magnus Brading, the author or MP3 Tag Studio, about Ogg Vorbis support. MP3TS is basically an extended hobby of his, and he said that Ogg Vorbis isn't something he knows much about or had given much thought to.

A fair chunk of the goodness in MP3TS is in tools to rectify ID3 version differences and such. If adapted to Ogg Vorbis, the functionality would be reduced, it seems, simply because some of the ID3-specific problems/functions do not apply. Still, it seems like there is a lot that would still be useful such as mass and recursive tagging.

I volunteered that I would try to assemble some information for him regarding Ogg comment structures and ID3-->Ogg mapping. I found the Ogg comments spec on xiph.org and also found some perl modules on sourceforge. Recycling some of this prior art may be complicated by the fact that they are open-source and MP3TS is proprietary shareware, but it's worth gathering the info anyway.

One probable complication for a gent who has been working pretty strictly within the ID3 tag context is that Ogg comments are so purposely free-form. i have been looking to see if there are any efforts to develop an ID3 mapping standard that would be usable. I found one suspicious-looking metadata effort here , but if anybody else has any pointers or any more inside info on trends in tag-->comments mapping, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Hope that makes some sense. Not sure if this is something that will make it into Mr. Brading's stack, but I figured it's worth trying to help move it along.

Side note: As a registered user I got this e-mail, but others may not have....he has released a new version of MP3TS that, registered or unregistered, is adware-free. Good for him.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.