Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#261816 - 29/07/2005 11:15 Man Charged For Sex With Wife
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
. . . who is 13. Strange all around, if you ask me. Not sure who's benifitting from this prosecution . . .

#261817 - 29/07/2005 11:23 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: JeffS]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Not sure who's benifitting from this prosecution . . .

Well, the guys over at plastic are getting a lot of conversation out of it...

#261818 - 29/07/2005 13:45 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: JeffS]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
Not sure who's benifitting from this prosecution . . .

Well, Jon Bruning probably will. Most people, like me, probably find this diisgusting. He's being prosecuted for knocking her up before they were married, which is statuatory rape in every state now (a few jumped up their age of consent in the past few years).

I really have to wonder about the parent of a 13 year old girl who thinks this is a good idea, that's the more disturbing part.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#261819 - 29/07/2005 13:56 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: Heather]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Most people, like me, probably find this diisgusting.
Oh, no doubt. I guess I'm just looking at putting the father in jail as not really doing much in the way of being helpful to anyone. Instad of a young mother and father, the child will now have a young mother and a father in jail. It seems the father was at least trying to do the right thing. Too little too late, perhaps?

Quote:
I really have to wonder about the parent of a 13 year old girl who thinks this is a good idea, that's the more disturbing part.
Probably she's just doing what she can to "make it right". Some further reading from the forum discussion above pointed out that the mother actually had a restraining order against the guy before she got pregnant, but had it lifted after they were married. Both the girl and the guy were in "special needs" classes, but you can't really known what it means except that they were definitely too young to be doing anything of the sort.

I know that people used to get married and have babies at age 13, and our bodies are certainly capable of it, but I have a niece who's 13 and I can't imaigine her being sexually active or having a child.

This is just a bad situation all around.

#261820 - 29/07/2005 14:00 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I think the "What's The Matter With Kansas" author now has more than enough material for a sequel.

#261821 - 29/07/2005 15:13 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: tonyc]
Heather
addict

Quote:
I think the "What's The Matter With Kansas" author now has more than enough material for a sequel.

I think he had enough for a sequel when he started, but for the sake of brevity and getting more readers, he kept it short.

Then again, I also think we have enough wackos in this country to write at least one book like that for every state, possibly every county.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#261822 - 01/08/2005 03:27 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: Heather]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Most people, like me, probably find this diisgusting.

What I find repugnant is the idea of this district attorney, who in all likelihood doesn't give a damn one way or the other about the people involved, using this as fodder to get re-elected. IMHO that's what this brouhaha is all about.

If any of the parties actually involved (parents, bride, groom) had initiated the complaint, I might feel more charitable towards this self-appointed guardian of our morals. But given the circumstances, it is none of my business, none of your business, and most certainly not the business of that district attorney out there in the trenches crusading for his version of the common good.

tanstaafl.

#261823 - 01/08/2005 15:24 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: tanstaafl.]
Heather
addict

Quote:
What I find repugnant is the idea of this district attorney, who in all likelihood doesn't give a damn one way or the other about the people involved, using this as fodder to get re-elected. IMHO that's what this brouhaha is all about.

Well duh. Values voters and all. Nebraska is a hotbed of 'em. The man's not an idiot, he's giving the people what they want to hear in order to further his own cause. According to law, he has every right to prosecute this case. Just because I find it personally to be replusive situation, doesn't mean I think it should be illegal, but it is. They had sex before the marriage. He was 22, she was 13. It's a clear case of statutory rape according to law. That's illegal. End of story. Doesn't matter if they're married now, that's what happened. I believe the term for it is "per se crime," it doesn't matter what the circumstances, the fact that the act took place means a crime occurred. The girl could consent and it'd be a crime. She could lie about her age, or show him ID that says she's of age, and it'd still be a crime. Her mother could give consent for the girl to have sex, hell, her mom could be in the room with them, cheering them on, taking photos for the family album, and it would still be a crime. Notice he's not going after him for anything happening after the marriage. Much harder to convict on, as while it still qualifies for the Nebrask statutory rape law, it gets a lot stickier because the state of Nebraska must honor a legal marriage from ano0ther state, even if their own laws forbid it. So on one hand, it can be looked at as John Bruning just doing his job, technically he is, but we all know it's motivated by his own wants. And no, this isn't helping anyone besides him.

Quote:
If any of the parties actually involved (parents, bride, groom) had initiated the complaint, I might feel more charitable towards this self-appointed guardian of our morals. But given the circumstances, it is none of my business, none of your business, and most certainly not the business of that district attorney out there in the trenches crusading for his version of the common good.

Actually, her mom did file for a protective order before she got pregnant. It is mentioned here (bug me not login [email protected] regsucks). She dropped it and was all for marriage when she turned up pregnant (the real WTF in all of this to me). Actually, it's not just this dude. This isn't even the worst of the laws out there (and many more being drafted) giving the state jurisdiction to interfere on personal matters. Hell, they're trying to pass laws right now making medical records of women who've visited facilities that perform abortions accessible to any prosecutor who may want them (regardless of what they're there for) for any reason. I'm sure someone out there is trying to cook up new laws stating what position married couples can have sex in (in some states, anything but missionary is prosecutable). People are trying to get birth control pills banned because they think they work by causing abortions (there is no scientific evidence of this). They've tried making it a crime to have a miscarriage and not report to the policewith in 12 hours (who the fsck does that one benefit?) My pussy is everyone's business in this country, and they have more rights to impose their morals on my use of it than I do, didn't you know that?

I wonder what they'll think of next?

Edited by Heather (01/08/2005 15:26)

#261824 - 01/08/2005 15:43 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: Heather]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
According to law, he has every right to prosecute this case.
Yeah, but he doesn't HAVE to:
Quote:
in some states, anything but missionary is prosecutable
Here's a case where people are "violating the law" all the time and no one does anything about it. Prosecutors can choose whether or not to pursue a case.

The bottom line is, who benefits from prosecuting this guy? The only answer I have is that it keeps from setting a bad precedent that people can avoid prosecution for sexually abusing minors by marrying them. But I'm not sure that this is a good enough reason to leave this child fatherless (for up to 50 years) in an already difficult situation. The question I can't answer: is this 22 year old man dedicated to his new family by getting married, or he merely trying to escape justice for sexually abusing a 13 year old girl? If it's the latter, go head and lock him for the next 50 years, but if it's the former, I think we need to be looking out for the child more than anyone else (and by child, I meant the newborn).

#261825 - 01/08/2005 15:49 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: Heather]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I wonder what they'll think of next?

Apparently in some states, it's illegal to obtain or perform female sterilisation without a husband's consent. No marriage, no tubes tied. Estranged or violent husband, still no tubes tied. The amount of owner/chattel baggage still present in a law such as that is dizzying.

Peter

#261826 - 01/08/2005 15:51 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: JeffS]
Heather
addict

Quote:
But I'm not sure that this is a good enough reason to leave this child fatherless (for up to 50 years) in an already difficult situation.

Yeah, but married or not, this kid growing up fatherless has a high likelyhood according to statistics, dad in jail or not. I still maintain this benefits no one but the prosecutor. The authorities failed to do anything when mom lodged the first complaint anyway, which she later withdrew, so this is basically going nowhere slow (and expensively).

#261827 - 01/08/2005 15:56 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
The question I can't answer: is this 22 year old man dedicated to his new family by getting married, or he merely trying to escape justice for sexually abusing a 13 year old girl? If it's the latter, go head and lock him for the next 50 years, but if it's the former, I think we need to be looking out for the child more than anyone else (and by child, I meant the newborn).

One point a lot of the coverage here has missed is that both the wife and the husband are educationally subnormal (I believe the US term is "on the short bus"). This makes me think that he's not all that scheming, but on the other hand wipes out the "but some 13-year-olds are pretty mature" line of argument (which has some mileage I think in some similar cases, like that girl with the Turkish waiter).

Peter

#261828 - 01/08/2005 16:23 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
One point a lot of the coverage here has missed is that both the wife and the husband are educationally subnormal

Hey, no fair! I said that. That is what kind of has me thinking that these are two kids who made a mistake rather than a sexual predator, but you can't really know.

#261829 - 01/08/2005 16:26 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: Heather]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I still maintain this benefits no one but the prosecutor.
Oh, well I guess we are in violent agreement then (which reading back is exactly what you said in your first post). I think the prosecutor is definitely serving selfish motives here. I do the case for setting a bad precident can be made, but I don't really buy it.

#261830 - 01/08/2005 17:59 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: peter]
Heather
addict

Quote:
Apparently in some states, it's illegal to obtain or perform female sterilisation without a husband's consent. No marriage, no tubes tied. Estranged or violent husband, still no tubes tied. The amount of owner/chattel baggage still present in a law such as that is dizzying.

Ahhh, one of my favorite rant subjects. Incidentally, those laws tend to works both ways, as I know of more than one woman who had to sign a consent form for hubby's snip. Those laws apply to abortion in many states, and I believe prescription contraceptives in a handful. The army (unsure of other branches of the service) makes married couples attend basic reproduction courses before doing these surgeries. If my sister didn't work in medicine and tell me stories of people with multiple kids and no idea how they got there, I'd find it funny rather than sad.

The worse end of that is dealing with doctors who think of themselves as the lifestyle and morality police. My own doctor ceased doing them after the third suit from someone who changed their mind and wanted more kids. So she referred me out to other doctors. Where I got such lovely gems as being asked to go see a psychiatrist (which I doubt they would have done if I said I wanted 8 kids), "you're too young/unmarried and unable to decide that you dont want kids" (age 28), and my personal favorite "what kind of a woman doesn't want baaaayyyyybeeeeeeessssss" (yes, in that annoying sing-songy rhyming way, may that man have a horrible accident with his scrotum and a wood chipper). And this is in New York City. No consent laws, and home of "the liberal jew media that's destroying America"

It's been getting steadily worse too, and these assholes are all getting more and more protection from the law. We've got a new law snuck in with the last federal spending bill that makes it legal to let a woman die from pregnancy complications if the provider (loosely worded enough that it can be interpreted to include medical insurance billers) is against abortion. Pro life indeed. Old law says they weren't required to perform an abortion, new one proctects their right to not refer. We've got pharmacists not filling birth control prescriptions (protected in some states, federal protection being discussed) based on their morals, which of course trump that of the patient. Even if the birth control pills are prescribed for something other than contraceptive use. We've also got several states who require, by law, that patients seeking an abortion be told things that are not medically accurate and have been disproven, all with a definite anti-choice slant. And the hits just keep on comin! It seems to get worse every day.

Then again, we've got a president who twice appointed Dr David Hager , a man who enjoyed anally raping his wife and didn't believe in birth control for unmarried women and prescribed prayer as a cure for menstrual cramps, to the Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs. We also get to see Laura Bush go abroad and talk about womens rights while they're being curtailed at home. We've got a great underlying concept in this country of women being here as cnts for breeding, fscking, and keeping house first and foremost, and how dare the biatches want anything else out of life.

#261831 - 02/08/2005 10:32 Re: Man Charged For Sex With Wife [Re: Heather]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
It's been getting steadily worse too, and these assholes are all getting more and more protection from the law.

Agreed, and that is really scary and depressing. Sometimes I think that this is a symptom of general decline of our cilization, something akin to decline of Islam from the peak in the days of Cordovan Caliphate to present day Taliban. However, it took Christian savages to destroy Moorish civilization; we are somehow managing to it without external help...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue