I spent my lunch hour messing with this one, and it doesn't look like it's going to be too much of an annoyance. The "City" mode seems to Do The Right Thing around grocery store door openers, and even in highway mode, I don't get the door-falses until I'm turning into the parking lot.

Moving the detector out of my "hiding spot" and pointing it directly at the door opener doesn't seem to change the signal strength compared to with the detector fully tucked into the hiding spot, so I think I've chosen a perfect mounting location.

The only drawback is that I don't get laser warnings because of the hiding spot. Boo hoo. From what I've read at Radartest, laser detectors are mostly just a placebo. From what I could see looking at the laser detector assembly I can understand now. This thing supposedly protects against laser from 360 degrees, but what that means is that their photosensor is mounted beneath a piece of curved plastic that "supposedly" acts like a lens to direct laser from the rear into the photosensor. Basically, the cop would have to direct his beam exactly at the radar detector for it to work at all (and they don't, they aim at the license plate). So I'm fine without laser capability.

I noticed today, though, that the antenna housing (large wedge shaped dealie that covers up the bulk of the PCB) gets very hot to the touch during normal operation. It's made out of the same material as a heat sink, is it supposed to double as an antenna and a heat sink? And why so hot, anyone know? This is like Pentium-chip hot.