Nope, all the Sony GPS software is still not W2K compliant. It would spawn a process that sat there taking all the CPU time it could and would never display anything. A call to the tech support line gave me nothing useful. They said basicially that they won't patch it because it's too much work and they didn't have access to NT when it was in development. The next software release will support W2K, but it's not a free upgrade. The Sony software is what caught my attention the most for the voice features it had, but the software seemed to have one of the worst interfaces out of the several programs I have tried. It also didn't want to talk to my GPS reciever, because the GPS reciever was talking a standard protocal, and not the propritary one. (I went through the hassle of loading VMWare to even see if it was worth keeping and running.

Overall, I like the Microsoft Streets and Trip program the most for the directions it gives, but the GPS support is a marker on the map updated every 15 seconds, and a readout of the lat/long/elevation. It also won't automaticially advance the directions.

The DeLorme Street Atlas 7 seems decent. It offers directions, and can provide voice alerts on the way. It also will use GPS to track your position realtime, and can show things like what satelites the GPS can see, sun and moon rise/set times, speed and more. And if you get off track, it will recalculate the best way to get to your destination, but it seems to enjoy just saying "Turn around". The address lookup is poor, as it always needs a ZIP. I find myself referring back to the MS program, since it can search on anything, and also return streets that are slightly spelled different then what you type.

The Rand McNally software that came with my GPS is by far the best software to log trips in, but it offers no directions real-time. It has to connect to the internet for every query, and it basicially just marks the map. But $99 for a standard GPS and ok software, I couldn't complain.

The one thing I am interested in is how well the PCMCIA units work. By what I could tell, the antenna was just off the card just like my 3Com Airconnect card. If this is the case, the GPS reciever would be useless because of the location of the PCMCIA slots in my laptop and the way I set the laptop in the passenger seat to see it.

As far as the wiring for mine, I taped the GPS into the front windshield area, and ran the cable down along the edge of the door. The serial/PS2 cable comes right up onto the seat where I need it, and if I have a passenger, the cable easially goes between the seat and the door.