your problem is in the registry. The host entry should be the IP number of the empeg itself. So in your case 192.168.0.100

Brian, you're right
With the IP address in the registry set to 192.168.0.100, it all works like a charm. Comms isue solved !
Thanks to everyone for sorting this out and the explanations.

Henno
mk2 nr 6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This sumarises what needs to be done (emplode 11d), besides installing an ethernet card and software:

1) enter the following into emplode (File / Configure Player / Networking)
. Manual Configuration
. IP=192.168.0.100
. netmask=255.255.255.0
. gateway=192.168.0.1
and do a sync (serial or USB) to pump this data into the mk2.
. quit emplode

2) edit the W98 registry, as per Rob's suggestions, but make sure that the host address is compatible with the above
as suggested by bmihulka: The host entry should be the IP number of the empeg itself. So in your case 192.168.0.100
(Regedit; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\empeg\empeg-car\1.0\Communications)
. host="192.168.0.100"
. method=3

3) call up the W98 Control Panel and change the settings for Network TCP/IP properties for the
Ethernet component of the board you're using. (Values contributed by Mark Petersen):
(Settings; Control Panel; Network; TCP/IP -> [your card] Ethernet PCI); Properties)

IP Address tab:
. Specify an IP address
. IP=192.168.0.1
. Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0

Gateway tab
. New Gateways: add the DNS addresses of my ISP (the same ones as TCP/IP in Dial Up networking)

I didn't change anythings else.

4) Make sure that W98 only dials out when there is no network connect.
Contributed by dionysus, who said:
. Go to your control panel and double click on internet options.
. Click on connections,
. Check "Dial whenever a network connection is not present."
this will force w98 to first check your network connection, and only dial out if it can't find it on the local net...

5) Connect PC and Mk2. I used a direct connect (twisted) cable. Check if they talk to each other by pinging the Mk2 from DOS
This was also suggested by Mark Peterson:
. Go to DOS, type
. ping 192.168.0.100

This should tell you if the Mk2 receives the messages from the PC and can replies. In my case it exchanged 4 messages. All were properly returned.

6) Remove all connects between PC and Mk2, except Ethernet and start emplode.
It shoud do a sync over ethernet now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Henno on 12/7/00 11:09 PM.