Dignan --

I don't usually jump in and recommend specific brands and models of stereo equipment.... but I have first-hand knowledge of one component that I just can't keep quiet about: If there is any way to do it, add a pair of MB-Quart RKB-100 four-inch coaxial speakers. (These are 4" mid-range speakers with built-in tweeters)

These speakers will do more to clear up "muddy" mid-range sound than anything else I know of. If you can possibly do it, try and mount them in the top corners of the dash right at the base of the windshield. It will pull your sound stage up, and give you great left-right imaging, and the brightness and clarity of sound will be beyond anything you can imagine.

The downside? They are not cheap. You'll pay close to $300 for the speakers -- and the installation cost might be considerable depending on what you have to do to your dash.

See if you can't get your stereo shop to just set a pair of them on top of your dash and then play your stereo, and see what it sounds like. You might be very impressed.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"