"Edit: I think you like him simply for his "music's" shock value and because he says stuff no one dared to before."

Yeah, that's part of it.

"And I was pissed that the reruns of the VMA's cut out all the eminem/Moby stuff. I wish I'd seen that."

Yeah, I was pissed, too. Did anyone see what actually happened?

Music is something you usually have to relate to to enjoy. If you can't relate to the lyrics then you tend not to enjoy it. That is why a lot of people don't like rap, and many of the rappers do make themselves sound stupid by some of the things they say. But if you can get past that and listen to Eminem or Snoop Dogg, you can see the talent that they have, and if you give it a chance you'll probably learn to appreciate it. The good rappers don't just 'talk' fast but it's more like singing fast - kind of like a guitar solo compared to guitar chords. Try singing along to any rapper just to see if you can.

I think it would be more fair to bash the attitude and subject matter of rap, rather than rap itself, because when someone says they don't like rap, it's usually not the singing style or music they have a problem with but it's just the whole 'gangsta' part of it that they don't like.