In reply to:

I think that's the whole idea. Ogg beats MP3 in 128kbps tests, but who encodes at 128 any more? I don't think it's possible for anyone to tell the difference between a properly encoded high-bitrate MP3 file and an Ogg file. So as I understand it, Ogg is really only useful if you're trying to save some disk space.

When Vorbis 1.0 finally came out I said I would go and try it out. I can say that I can definately tell that OGG has higher audio fidelity then MP3 at any bit rate. I personally encode my MP3's using LAME VBR from 96 to 256. However, I riped a few of my cd's in pure PCM, OGG Max Quality, OGG 128Kbit/s, MP3 Max Quality, MP3 VBR, and MP3 128. Using my THX certified sound system, and my Sennheiser headphones, I can tell you that OGG sounded much more like the WAV PCM than the MP3 did. Yes, MP3 loses at higher frequencies, but I could also hear other loses in the low end as well. This occured every time in every type of music I tried.

But, as everyones ears may vary, so does everyones results. This is just my observations, but due to it, I've been reencoding all of my CD's into OGG. I'm not concerned about player space, just the best audio fidelity that I can get.