You're right. Rioplay works okay for a hacker, or at least someone very unix savvy. Sadly it's not quite in the position of being a sole source of entertainment from the empeg.

The original Rioplay developer has other obligations, and I'm uncomfortable with making additional modifications to his code for fear of getting too far off the reservation, if you get my drift.

It needs some pretty serious attention before I'd be comfortable ditching the factory software in order to get ogg and flac support in my car.

For the house, on the other hand, it's pretty good. I've got rioplay up and running on my empeg playing oggs/flacs over the network and from the local drive, as well as shoutcast streams from the comfort of my home entertainment center (wirelessly).

The bits of rioplay that need the most attention are the a) keypress code: It feels pretty chinsy, not up to any standard of functionality really, and b) scanning through a given track: non-functional and I'm at a loss as to getting this working.

All in all, until it's received significant developer attention, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it in my car just yet.

By the time this happens, the Cambridge guys will already have it released to the public in their more mature code base.

Greg