In reply to:

And let me just say that "soup" was not supposed to be something you have to think about. When the soups actually get implemented on the player, it will become the main mode of operation and playlists will be secondary.

And lets us pray, oh brothers & sisters, that this day shall come to pass sooner than later.
And when this day does finally come to pass
Let us then offer up all our thanks and gratefulness up to those
Who toiled in the darkness, amid half-empty pizza boxes and slowly putrifying source code,
To bring forth this wondrous new mode of operation and usefulness.
Which will henceforth become the very heart of the next [non]-beta release of the once glorious, but now EOL'ed player.
And further more, let us pray that this mode become known by its proper name and not merely as "soup mode".

;-)

In reply to:

For those who own a Rio Central or a Rio Receiver, you know what I mean. The thing just has a "Play Music" menu underneath which is artist, album, all tracks, etc. And one of the entries under that menu happens to be "playlists".

I know what you mean, but both the Rio Central and the Receiver have a grunty "always on" OS [with powered up disk drives] behind it to provide this wonderous mode of operation.
And in any case, Emplode is the software I find Soup mode most useful to use in, to quickly sort out those rogue ID3 tags.

Its a real pity, I can't use emplode to sort out the ID3 tags on my MP3 files on my PC BEFORE I upload them to player, rather than AS I upload them to the player!