As discussed in a previous thread to do with CVBS output.
There is often a pretty suitable tool significantly cheaper than the custon stuff.

With the Via Epia motherboards with CPU and flash disk now available for £75, a very simple Empeg like device could be created. Someone has fitted this in a NES or a PSone so its probably possible to mount in a cd changer type box or something and a power feed + amps + display + cIR in a headunit type box, or even use a lcd screen headunit with video in as the control.
As the Mobo is pretty inclusive vga, video out, spdif, Lan, usb etc One could simply add a DC regulator circuit and a 2.5inch HDD and away yourd go. If someone wrote a nice EMpeg type interface you could output the empeg-like display in 24 bit colour to any y/c or cvbs video monitor in high quality resizable output.
If one used an 6.4" earthlink vga panel or a USD LCD output http://www.massworks.com/ you could even use a touchscreen for remote control and gain the ability to run emplode, gps, etc in the car.
Further, as it would be a standard pc and the new epia-m ( www.mini-itx.com ) can play div-x and ac3 you could even run dvd's or other media ;-) in the car.
It kind of goes away from the Elegant EMpeg type solution although theres going to be alot of car-pc integration coming , after all incar pc is kind of mutually exclusive with EMpeg.

I can see the Ricers and crusers now --- yeah man I got direct port fully mapped wet 150 shot nitrous, twin garret t64's ceramic turbos and a Athlon hammer XP with 2.1 terabyte raid serial ATA running gnome!

However as a cheap soloution if you were keen an epia (fanless) it and the PSU would fit in a box the smaller than a poweramp, mine sits under the passenger seat and cost less than 100 bucks.
Obviously not as elegant as redesigning the entire Empeg display subsystem but with some lateral thinking, like that that created our fabulous Empegs there are often many ways to solve a particular problem.

If someone Reverse engineered the touchscreen output on the new kenwood 7inch widesceen displays to feed a linux driver it could be very smart and ergonomic solution.
I have even looked at digital out from the Epia into a Alpine PXA H700 ( http://m2-shop.com/shop/car/cd/alpine/pxa-h700/pxa-h700.html ) with dolby digital, time alignment and delt-sig 24bit/96k 6 channel digital XO I think this could really change some people view on HDD based car audio especially even if you then wanted to use monkey or FLAC.

Best Regards
Max