In reply to:

In reply to:

(number6's question)
can you send the SVee6 a TSIP "sentence" to turn on extra NMEA sentences

The docs imply you can.

This document describes the protocol. I have actual SVee6 docs somewhere but the only difference is the hardware description; The SVee8 has 2 more channels and another serial port.

Yes, you are right, the above doc, it mentions this on Page 3-5 - quoted below.

In reply to:

In reply to:

(number6's question)
Why not not have a configuration setting [GPS menu option],

Well, it does mean that when you change GPSs if you forget you're screwed, I'd guess.

Yes, but changing the option from either config.ini (done via Emplode (and maybe jemplode?)) or from the front panel via special command are pretty simple for most folks.
Making it a command line option or something makes it harder to change.
I realise most folks are going to change their in-car GPS once or twice - about as often as they change cars to be honest, but for in-home use/testing it may well be more frequent than that.
So making it easy to send this string to your GPS as required from the GPS app makes it:

(a) easy to maintain - the code is one place for all supported GPS receivers - and this is in the program than makes use of the features.

(b) Trivial to reset in the case of a new GPS unit being plugged in.

In reply to:

In reply to:

(number6's question)
Or does it need to be sent each boot up?

Depends on the GPS. That I wasn't clear on, for the SVee6, like, does it forget when I shut off my car? I'd guess no, that it's more or less the same as the NMEA/TSIP/TAIP selection. An Earthmate or a Tripmate *will* forget. The Magellan Gold I have doesn't have a way I've found yet to configure it other than from the menu on the screen of the unit. And so on.

The SVee8 [and I assume the Svee6] appears to be able to remember the settings in permanent memory, or possibly in battery backed ram (BB Ram?)
Heres the snippet from Page 3-5 of the Svee8plus manual.

In reply to:

The receiver is shipped with the NMEA protocol by part number from the factory. The NMEA setting can be changed using TSIPCHAT and command 0xBC. TSIP command 0x7A changes the NMEA output sentences and output rates.

The new settings are saved to BBRAM or they can be saved to non-volatile memory using TSIP command 0x8E-26.

* Note – Although the SVeeEight Plus GPS receiver supports seven NMEA sentences that contain GPS information, the factory default setting for the receiver only outputs the GGA and VTG data strings. To change the output interval or sentence output, use TSIP Command Packet 7A.