The next question is (when we're ready) does it make sense for every app to have a config file, or one for all apps?

Not sure, I initially added the options because (a) I didn't know beforehand how much processing time would be needed to draw things like the tracklog. (b) I wasn't sure exactly how much information on the small screen would make it too cluttered.

I guess many people will probably end up never changing a couple of the options. My guess is that the track trail, highlighting the route to the next waypoint and the map scale will pretty much always be on, so we can just remove those options completely.

Meters/Miles and GPS protocol are pretty much static settings that won't change over time. They are useful as config.ini options, but not really in the menu.

Popups are probably one of the few really 'personal preferences' that will differ per user and having both the config.ini and the menu option is probably the right thing.

This only leaves us with the gps coordinates, which will probably end up in the satellite overview screen, and the ETE, which already was suggested should probably (along with speed) replace the nifty pointer on the right hand side.

So in the end there will probably not be that much to customize at all, which would make config.ini the better place because Emplode already allows for easy editing of that file.
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp