As a restaurant type person myself, I have gone through a few of these changes in smoking policies in different places. The one thing that remains the same, is that when smoking is banned in a restaurant or bar, sales go down.

Every server and bartender that has ever worked for me when one of these smoking bans was either instituted or lifted, agrees that the money they make with the smoking is more important than the detriment to their health. I think that servers and bartenders don't really care too much about the heath hazards of second hand smoke because most of them view their jobs as pretty much temporary work. Athough a good many of them end up working in the industry for many years. Most of them want to work where there is smoking because of the seemingly direct corrolation between smoking, drinking and high tipping.

They all also agree that they have a choice to not work in that environment. In fact, one waitress that worked for me had asthma, so she never worked around the bar or smoking sections. Of course she did not have the opportunity to make as much money as the other servers sometimes, but that was her choice.