In reply to the threads in General about the dang music industry, let me ask this question that's been burning in my mind for years now. If you own an album on vinyl, cassette, or whatever else you may have, are you allowed to download the MP3 or bum a copy of the CD off a friend of yours?

I think: Yes. When you bought the vinyl or cassette, you bought a LICENSE to own the music. So, when the media you have is antiquated, you still own the right to possess the music. So, download the MP3 or bum a burned CD copy.

If I'm wrong, then I give a big F to the music industry. They want us to buy the album on record, then on cassette, then on CD, then on MMC (multi media card. lord, it would ROCK if albums came on those) or whatever? That's worse than estate tax when someone dies and their money gets taxed as an estate AND as it passes to the beneficiaries. Not to mention that it probably got taxes as it was earned and saved (ie: if put in a RothIRA). ... um, can ya'll tell that I'm sweating my investments? Word.