You guys reminded me of a funny story, though not directly related.

I have a friend who has been in the music industry a long time. Years ago, back when MP3s first started getting passed around (like 98-99), I had made some tapes from the MP3s. I was up visiting the friend. At the time, he was working for Music Connection (an industry mag). When I told him I'd made the tapes from MP3s, he proceeded to give me this whole long lecture about how I was ripping off the artists, and that the tape would probably cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in royalty fees. I was like, whatever.

Jump forward a few years and the friend is working for MP3.com. I mention the tape incident and he laughs and encourages me to pirate as much as I can.

It's even funnier that he later told me about this new service they'd be launching soon, called My.Mp3.com. I looked at it, laughed, and told him they'd be sued in a second. He told me "no way". Guess who's laughing now?

Point of the story: People in the record industry have no freaking clue what they're doing and will do anything to make a buck.