Yeah, but does that mean that you should have an automatic right to a DVD copy of a movie you own on VHS? just because the DVD version is newer/better?

I don't think so - don't get me wrong - I hate the music industry as much as you do, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

e.g. if you buy a ("inferior") analog copy of a movie or album, then I don't (nor does the law), think should have the automatic right to a "free upgrade" to the (superior) digital version - especially if that comes with extras not on the original analog copy (like 5.1 soundtrack, directors commentary, alternative endings etc for movies or CD-TEXT, bonus tracks etc for Albums on CD).

Of course if the music companies (and movie studios) would allow you to "trade in" your old (genuine) analog copies for newer digital copies - for a decent discount off the retail price of the digital version - then that would make common and economic sense and would make a lot of people like you (and me) more willing to upgrade to newer formats.

The music and movie industries would benefit as they would be able to make more money from "re-selling" the new (same old) product, while removing the older products from the market, thus preventing the market being flooded with old analog copies lowring the price for all. Of course, the old analog copies would need to be surrendered as part of the deal.

But that doesn't happen at the moment.

Unlike in the software industry where you can "trade up" or "upgrade" to the newer (enhanced) version for less than the cost of a new copy as a reward for being a prior customer.

Hmm, maybe thats why the software industry is making money and growing while the music industry is declining - something old-fashioned - like "being (relatively more) caring about your customers"?