Any thoughts would be appreciated...

There's no one 'correct' way to organise and tag mp3s that handles all types of music well.. (eg Classical, Mix Albums, Compilations, Soundtracks etc). I don't think that the problem stems so much from ID3, since ID3v2 is fairly extensible. It actually starts earlier in the process than that, at the CDDB stage. If CDDB had a structure more suited to handling such albums (and was accurately populated), then I think that ID3 tags would evolve fairly naturally to accommodate them. (In turn leading to software that used them).

Bad data in - Bad data out.

My other 'thought' that you might appreciate, is that it appears that you might want to consider RAID5 soon. Linux supports RAID5 both in SW and using various HW solutions. (ISTR 3com Escalade series being well supported and cost-effective). A 4th 160GB disk in RAID5 would give you 435GB storage, with fault tolerance. It's not worth discussing performance benefits/hits of RAID5 vs RAID0, unless (of course) you're illegally sharing your music with a large number of people...(in which case, probably best not discussed anyway..)