In reply to:

I can't use the static IP option as my home Ethernet hubs are connected to the cable provider, and I can't find out from the empeg display what IP address it has picked up from DHCP.

Well, empeg says in the next release you will be able to tell emplode what the empeg's IP address is so it will know where to find it.

However, if you don't want to wait, an alternative is to assign more than one TCP/IP binding to your network card. I've tried this in Win98 and Windows 2000 with other uses (alas, no empeg yet), and it works fine.

Basically, add another TCP/IP to your network adapter, and give it a static ip address of 192.168.0.1 (valid fakenet IP). Give the empeg 192.168.0.2. Use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for both. The rest of the settings don't matter. Your computer should happily use the original TCP/IP for the internet and the other TCP/IP for the empeg (or other devices).

This has worked consistently for me in the past. In fact, I do this currently with my internal network at home (release the Microsoft Client binding from the Internet TCP/IP so that nasty hacking turds don't piss with my Microsoft network). I have a box that I use as a Linux firewall, but have bad results with some Internet apps (games) not working with IP Masquereding.

Anyway, this might serve as a potential work around. Linux guru's (and net junkies) refer to this technique as "IP Aliasing".

Kureg