From what I've read in this thread so far, it sounds like the problem is technically the fault of MP3 Tag Studio. My reasoning follows...

I think this is what's happened:

He ripped the CDs (and/or downloaded them from Napster) with incorrect tags. What tags were there, were V2 tags.

Then he realized that all his tags were wrong and he'd better get them shaped up before he got the Empeg in the mail. So, on the recommendation of this BBS's users, he used MP3 Tag Studio to go in and fix all of them.

But MP3 Tag Studio only writes the V1 tag and doesn't even look at the V2 tags or know how to handle them. If its behavior were complete, it would either wipe the V2 tags or write the corrected data to both tags. But it doesn't support V2 tags at all. So all the V1 tags were right and all the V2 tags were wrong.

So along comes Emplode and gets fed one of these files. Emplode says, "Hey, here's a file with both a V1 and a V2 tag. Since the V2 tag is a newer specification and can contain more data, I'll take that one in favor of the V1 tag." Which, if you ask me, is the correct behavior.

So Emplode gets all the tags wrong unless you prune the incorrect tags out of the file with MP3Trim. IMHO, that feature should have been in MP3 Tag studio and he shouldn't have needed a third program to get that job done.

Part of the problem also results from the fact that the V2 and the V1 spec can coexist in the same file.

I don't know what Emplode could have done in this situation except ask which tag to use when it detects both. This would be nice but it would be a complete pain in the ass if you dragged a huge group of files. Sure you could add a "Yes to all" button, but what if you wanted to answer the question differently for some of the files in the middle of the group. Ick.